Tuesday, March 14, 2006

blajbiljaeighlh

On vacation and now too many thoughts have built up in my head...

**Skiing. It is for the young, adventurous and cold-tolerating. I used to be all of those things, but last week in Utah I realized that I am now only young. Last year's wrist, ligament, nose debacle killed adventurousness and I'm embarrassed to admit it but, DC has made me a wuss. It was 25 degrees in Utah, which is perfectly reasonable skiing weather, and I was freezing. I should turn in my Chicago AND Michigan badges. I use to wear tank tops in the single digits and now I can't wait to get back to DC and its random 80 degree days. Can skin really get thin that fast?

**The Oscars. The show itself was kinda sucky, a little boring, and my usual Oscar watching experience lost a considerable amount of joy because my brother and father mocked me as I watched the E! Arrival Pre-Show. Do I mock them when they start watching Super Bowl coverage at 11am?? Um, nooooooooooooooo. My boy(friend) Jon Stewart was hilarious, if a little nervous, but that's okay because he had the best line of the night: "3-6 Mafia: 1 Academy Award, Martin Scorese: 0."

**Happy Hours. Why does everyone want to drink at 5pm all of the sudden? I am pretty confident that DC is more of a Happy Hour town that most, but lately it's like the Early Bird special around here. People: if you start drinking that early you will end up in Adams Morgan wearing a pink twin-set, smudged make-up, and carrying all your personal belongings in a purse that can fit a human child. Go home. Shower. Play some funky music and then go out and make a night of it. You will be much happier.

**Airline Vouchers. I bumped myself off my flight from Dallas to DC on Saturday and I couldn't be happier. Sure, I missed a night out (good and bad because I probably saved ~$40 in the process), didn't have pajamas, or a contact case. But I did have a free dinner, a hotel room, a Law & Order: SVU marathon, a king-size bed AND A $300 VOUCHER. Vouchers are to airlines as seeing two movies for the price of one is for theatres: it's really the only way those crappy institutions give back. In your face, American.

**Coldplay. Yes I saw them in September but they were back in DC two weeks ago and they were great. It was Chris Martin's birthday which definitely added a level of enjoyment to the show that wasn't there before, and Beds and I did our best to rock out to great if virtually undanceable music. (Try dancing to Yellow, I dare you) No matter, if they don't come out with a live version of Clocks from this tour I'm going to kick some skinny, British ass.

**Computers. I didn't sit in front of a computer for 10 days and it was awesome. Seriously, it was ultra-therapeutic. No typing. No infomania. No ridiculously long list of websites to check or crashing programs. My punishment for ignoring my master: 120 emails in my gmail account. The only good thing was that I had more in gmail than at work. I'm still not chained to that desk, whew.

**Bonuses. Christmas in March you say? That's right. I returned to work yesterday and was rewarded with a sweet bonus. It's more exciting to get a present when you're not expecting it than when it's owed to you in my opinion and that is why Monday was awesome. Well that, and I think that's the biggest check I've ever seen that was written to me and not from Ed McMahon.

**Inside jokes. Have you and friend ever made a list of inside jokes that you have? My friend Lizzie and I spent one summer in Israel together we have one kickass list of inside jokes to show for it. Just carry a little notebook with you and poof: Working under 100 degree heat while digging up 6,000 year-old artifacts becomes hysterical! I stumbled upon this list tonight and five years later every single one still makes me laugh so hard I snort. 150 Israeli soldiers stationed at our Kibbutz and only five age-appropriate girls, getting up at 4am everyday for six weeks (see sleeping), language barriers, hangovers, dirt...everything becomes hysterical when your main activity is digging. How many times does something funny actually make you snort?

Ok, sufficient brain purge...ahhhh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home