Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Foolish Muggle

So I was chatting with EJ about my lack of posts as of late and why that was. Have I lost narcissistic things to comment on? Is my perspective no longer broad enough to encompass all my friends and random readers? Well, not quite. I was trying to think of something I've been doing for the past three weeks or so that would so deter my focus on the (blogging) task at hand. And then I realized: Harry Potter.

*Sigh* With my imminent departure to the UK I decided that I should engage my inner anglophile in all ways, and I thought I would start with Harry Potter. I thought the best plan would be to read the first six books and then wait with bated breath for the seventh like everyone else in the world. When I told my friend Emily of this plan she said, "Dude, I'm not going to see you for a month if you do that." Haha, I thought. They're just books.

Em was right. I read the first two in a week and a half (a slow pace, admittedly, but I do have a full-time job and a part-time bar habit) and then it became an obsession. I walked to my friend's house to pick up books three and four and then walked home from his house (2.5 miles) with them in tow. I stayed home on a Friday night to read. I carried book four around every day, which is quite unwieldy and in hard cover, in my messenger bag including kickball games just for the chance to read. When I was in New York over the weekend I knew I had a problem: I finished a 5k walk and, seeing a bookstore, decided to buy the fifth book. I carried 870 pages around with me in New York all day just to make sure that I wouldn't have to stop reading should I happen to finish the fourth book on the train back to DC (I did finish, but then I took a nap. No matter, better safe than sorry).

Now most of you know why these books provoke this kind of response. The story is just so freakin' readable that I can't put it down. It has everything: good, evil, redemption, adventure, friendship, love, excitement, and magic. I often come late to cultural phenomenons, mostly because I refuse to believe that anything could actually be that good, but in this case I was so completely wrong.

I would write more, but I'm cutting into precious reading time. No really, I am. Hogwarts4ever.

2 Comments:

Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

If you're going to choose a cultural phenomenon, Harry Potter is way better than Da Vinci code! Welcome to the cult!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I so totally agree with you. Harry Potter is so very addictive...

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home