Sunday, March 26, 2006

Pretty Little Boxes

I like things neat and tidy. I like things with a beginning, a middle, and an end. I am so predictable in my search for tidiness that my TiVo has punished me with little presents in the form of horrible romantic comedies (The Prince and Me and Cinderella Story). I watch these movies because as painful as they are, because they provide me with a semblance of order in an obviously chaotic world.

I have started to fixate on my own personal level of tidiness now that I know I will be leaving DC. I already took care of my professional loose ends--an end date has been secured with all the goodwill and connections that I could hope to have--and now I am keen on doing the same personally. But what does this mean? Isn't my leaving a loose end in and of itself? Well, yes and no. My friends here will either continue to be my friends or they won't. That is not what I'm looking to do. I'm more looking to clarify relationships. I want relationships cemented, for better or for worse. I want to say all the things I never said and do all the things I meant to do but didn't.

Personal closure is a highly underrated, but extremely worthwhile endeavor and I needs me some.

1 Comments:

Blogger BobtheBatmobile said...

Interesting that this seems like a topic of conversation - closure, that is - amongst many of my friends these days. It is amazing to me how doing nothing and letting go of a thing(s) can be the hardest of all things to do. We all so want to have everything, as you put it, in its neat and tidy little box to put away in a neat and tidy little closet, never to have to be pulled out to sort through and deal with later. This makes perfect sense yet can be so difficult. I wish you all the best of luck in your pursuit of closure on issues as its a peaceful feeling to have those things you need to address and close, addressed and closed.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home