Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Bachelor 3000

Ok, so I was watching The Bachelor last night (embarrassing, but let's move on) and I noticed something interesting. Me and my viewing companions were pretty harsh on the obvious lack of physical chemistry between the Bachelor and one of his final four ladies. It was obvious he respected her, thought she was fun, and enjoyed spending time with her, but they hung out more like pals, and this are the comments we all kept making.

"I mean yeah, of course they'd be friends, but..."
"They have a cute friendship but look! They're not even holding hands."

Etc, etc.

The approximate timeline of The Bachelor is one month. He meets 25 women and whittles them from 25-15-8-6-4-3-2 and the final one all in one month's time. So my question is this: why are we discounting two people that have an obvious rapport, even if it's not sexual? An actual relationship is built on friendship and mutual respect. Sure, the Bachelor is hot and having him make out with other hot women makes good television but it doesn't accomplish the show's intended goal of finding him a mate. It may have taken umpteen seasons (I'm not an avid watcher) but I think they may have finally found two people who are actually forging a relationship on television.

Now let this franchise die in peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger BobtheBatmobile said...

I think you make some good points. I do think the physical chemistry is important too, though maybe it is something that would develop given time. My folks have a magic trio of relationship 'musts' that they always tell me I have to achieve in order to have a relationship that works - love, lust, and respect. I agree with this and think that lust is probably the easiest of those three to find, while love and repect are pretty darn tough. Given that, if the Bachelor and the lady from Tennessee can manage to fall for one another and eventually want to get in each other pants, we will have seen a rare phenomena occur on tv - a real relationship.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home