Monday, January 23, 2006

Our 42.5 President


The writing was on the wall. When I heard that West Wing was moving to Sunday nights against the DH-Grey's Anatomy juggernaut, I knew that NBC no longer cared about the fate of this show. But to hear it come down from on high that is actually over and that Aaron Sorkin isn't coming back to tie up loose ends (although Rob Lowe might-woohoo) was still sad.

For a politico, I came to my West Wing obsession relatively late. I had been a Sorkinite since The American President and SportsNight but for reasons that now escape me, I watched something else on TV on Wednesday nights. The episode that finally did it for me was when I saw a rerun of the "Big Block of Cheese Day." Leo explains the significance of giving audience to crazy, fringe lobbyists and the senior staff is forced to meet with people who want highways for wolves, or for kids to have the right to vote. It was a hysterical episode and one that seemed to capture the West Wing's essential conflict: idealism vs. believability.

Usually, the show fell on the idealistic side. Loose strings were tied up at the end of most episodes in a wholly unrealistic but ultimately satisfying ways. Republicans were alternately mocked for being stupid (Bob Ritchie) or were shown to "see the light" if they exhibited intelligence (Ainsley Hayes). The staff was depicted as whip smart and married to their work, but like most political people, unable to have personal lives (let alone master them).

And finally there was President Bartlett. He was arrogant, obnoxious, and so freakin' smart. If Martin Sheen was actually of presidential height I might have truly believed that he was president. He made mistakes (hiding his MS and assassinating Abdul Sharif being the most glaring) but he also didn't fire the Surgeon General for condoning medical marijuana use and he put his ego aside and temporarily resigned when Zoey was kidnapped. It was as nuanced a potrayal of the millions of decisions a president faces everyday as was ever depicted on film.

Democrats love this show. But for Democrats who live in DC, this show occupies a special place. That is why John Spencer's death was felt a little more keenly and why we will watch 'til the bitter end to see if Josh and Donna will ever get together. Who cares if Barlett is a know-it-all liberal from a tiny (albeit Electorally-important) New England state who wouldn't get elected in real life? Or that none of the staff has left since his first inauguration? These are minor details that the show's dedication to bigger ideals has no time for. And that's exactly how we want it.

President Barlett: Who's your Commander in Chief?
Abbie: You are.

Yeah you are.

3 Comments:

Blogger BobtheBatmobile said...

I am a fellow late-comer to the West Wing. In some ways, I think this is why I am so sad to see it go. I feel like I haven't gotten it for long enough, even if I have watched every single episode multiple times and dvr it every day on Bravo and watch the same episodes again and again and again.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

I can't forgive the show for their treatment of Toby this season. For me, he's the show's center and he's being completely marginalized.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have to say I am so mad that it is ending just when it started to show life again.

And if they DON’T have something between Josh and Donna then I will have words with John Wells.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home