Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Of Mallomars and diets

Greetings and salutions. I wasn't kidding when I said see you in 2006. The mind she doesn't flow well when she's being inundated by family, friends (of the high school and college variety), as well as enough food to feed a small nation. One word: Mallomars. Thank god they are only available in the winter when puffy vests and stretchy jeans don't get a second look.

With the box of Mallomars I consumed on my mind, I embarked on your standard post-holiday diet yesterday. Yes, I diet. I have dieted before and I will diet again, but every time I do it I feel a little like a traitor. I have listened to countless friends, magazines, TV shows talk about dieting and it always makes me feel lame. "Why do all these people need to diet? Life is too short to worry this much about food." Yet, when I decide to do it I assume that I am viewed as a rationale human being. Thinking this is what makes me able to stick to the diet. Well that, and my motivation to wear a bikini in June and not be a fat Maid of Honor in September.

I also know that when I go on this particular diet, I will only stick to it faithfully for three weeks. Yep, that's really all I can do and even that is pushing it in a city that prizes its Happy Hours and Weekend Intoxication Binges above all others. So why do I do it if I know that I won't last? Peace of mind. Control. These are powerful tools that I have mastered the maniuplation of, at least when it comes to my own head. A sense of righting a wrong (in this case, that ill-fated box of Mallomars and all the other holiday goodies) is strong enough for me to pursue something I usually think is silly.

Who's up for pizza in three weeks?

2 Comments:

Blogger Red Photography said...

Particularly impressive now that the Pour House has switched to waffle fries. How can one possibly diet when there are waffle fries to be consumed?!

12:30 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Yeah, my eternal Resolution to eat better was gone as soon as I saw those bad boys.

I'll still totally do pizza in 3 weeks, though.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home