Monday, November 28, 2005

A picture's worth... well, you know

I went to the Museum of Modern Art in New York over Thanksgiving weekend and I forgot how much more better images can be at communicating what you're feeling and/or thinking.



Got art?


[KEY:
Image 1: Shot of The Gates from last February. The idea of walking through some orange gates in the middle of a gray winter day didn't seem marketable or even exciting until I went. It was one of those gorgeously sunny, but brutally cold, days and it made the juxtaposition of the orange with the dead trees and snow that much more keen. Christo rocks.
Image 2: Jasper Johns, Map, oil on canvas, 1961. This one jumped out at me at the museum for a couple of reasons. First of all, everyone in my office has a U.S. map on their wall (it's the nature of our work) and the idea of having one that is this intense appealed to me. Also, I think its essential themes (upheaval, uncertainty) are as resounding today as they were then in 1961. Probably more so.
Image 3: Rorschach inkblot. If you've ever lay on you back trying to make out what that cloud looks like or tried to see a bunny or a duck, then you're doing really thinking about this little baby. The idea that the human mind can see thousands of images in this one inkblot is staggering. Sometimes you have to sit back and ingest how cool that is.
Image 4: I tend to like art that is calming (Image 2 notwithstanding) so almost every Ansel Adams photograph is high art to me. I wish that I would have had the bright idea to take a camera, tripod, and shitloads of black and white film out West to take pictures of some of the most awe-inspiring sites in nature. Adams genius is capturing these places in all their majesty, nothing more and nothing less.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home