Saturday, November 12, 2005

In this edition: Dell sucks, Bubba rocks and hangovers are usually worth it

Did you miss me? Nah, don't lie. Rebuilding your computer from the ground up is not something that I recommend. There is a reason that I paid Dell to install Windows and Microsoft Office when I bought the damn thing the first time. Nevertheless, here are the three important lessons that I have gleaned from this experience:

1) Patience is a virtue. It's self-explanatory, but important to remember when you spend two hours on the phone with Dell technician Jennie who has explained to you dead hard drives are her "bread and butter." Thanks Jennie, I feel so much better. 2) I am smarter than I thought I was. After a disasterous moment when I thought I had lost all of my papers from college (among other things) I saved my own day by finding a CD marked, "My backup 7/23/05." Big ups to Libby on July 23rd! She was awesome! 3) The sex mixes were saved! Copypod is the best thing to ever happen to me and it will have my eternal gratitude.

Ok, enough housecleaning. On to what you all surely want to know about: Little Rock. Man, that town is fun! I know you're rolling your eyes but if you want to go somewhere random for a weekend, I totally recommend it. Little Rock is desperate for your business. Come visit. Please. They'll won't beg you, but they'll come close.

So Thursday night, my co-worker and I checked into the Holiday Inn Presidential and found ourselves at the mercy of a young, Republican alumnus of ours. He showed us all the hotspots: The Flying Fish, complete with a Catfish Wall of Fame where I was forced to eat fried okra, the Capital Hotel where I smoked a cigar (!) and got plenty of those, "who-do-those-city-folk-think-they-are" looks, and finally The Cajun's Wharf, where we danced all night and harrassed the band into playing, "I Got Friends in Low Places." Thursday was just a warm-up for Friday's big event.

At 6:30pm on Friday, we entered Billy's House. The Clinton Presidential Library is amazing. Seriously, so freaking cool. I know some people say it looks like a trailer at night, but that doesn't take away from it's other great attributes. We had rented out the library for our group which was only 30 people, so we basically had the place to ourselves. It has the crisp and clean look of a new museum, plus everything is laid out really well. There is a full-scale replica of the Oval Office as it was laid out during his presidency, as well as a full-scale Cabinet room. Sit in his chair and not feel chills, I dare you.

My feet were hurt so much from a full day of activities that I took my shoes off and made myself at home as I moved through the museum. I read about the longest period of economic expansion in American history. I watched a puff piece video describing Clinton's rise to power (a obvious emotional ploy, but damn if it didn't work) and I read letters that everyone from Queen Elizabeth to Sheryl Crow had written the Clintons praising their family,their commitment to this country and their hospitality. I felt alternately happy for taking this walk down memory lane, and severely depressed at the fact that it was a memory. Leave it to Dubya to try and ruin even the Clinton Library.

Later, my co-worker and I did our best to ruin our reputations in Little Rock. That was easily accomplished by flirting with guys wearing cowboy hats whose girlfriends did not look pleased and by dancing flirtatiously on the stage at the piano bar to "Baby Got Back." I headed back to the hotel at 3am forced myself to pack for my 7:30am flight and collapsed...until 7:10am.

I managed to get to the airport and through security by 7:25am (the miracle of small airports), but my stupid flight had already pushed away from the gate. I was able to make my connecting flight out of Dallas, but I wore my sunglasses the entire way (yes, I was that girl) and that takes us to last Saturday afternoon when I was informed that my hard drive was dead.

Consider yourself in the know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home