Monday, October 03, 2005

I'm trading in Ryan Atwood for Steve Lyons

Alrighty folks, it is now officially fall. September straddles the divide, but it's October now and playoff baseball is ready to begin. I think of the regular season as kind of one looooooong warmup for the journey that is October. But I should tell you this now: there is no way it could be as exciting as last year. Sorry, but breaking curses and coming back from an 0-3 deficit is a once-in-a-lifetime event, and without my Cubbies in the mix, there aren't really any teams facing historical demons. That being said, this October still has some dramatic possibilities. Let's start with the National League:

The machine that is the Atlanta Braves managed to roll to a 14th consecutive NL East title. Uncle, Hot-lanta. I was never a doubter, but shit you are impressive. I am proud to wear my Braves Little League tee that I bought for $5. Now do yourselves a favor and actually win an LDS series. Divisional titles must be getting old, so I will be rooting for you to beat the evil Astros. The hatred my parents have for the Mets (re: 1969), I feel for the Astros. They always seem to be there, lurking, waiting for the Cubbies to do something Cub-like. And they're from Texas. And the used to play at Enron Field. Prediction: Braves in 4.

Next up: Padres vs. Cardinals. The NL Worst is so pathetic that having Barry Bonds come back in September almost put the Giants in playoff contention. But the Padres held on to win the division and the dubious honor of being the first casuality of the Cardinals march back to the World Series. Seriously Padres, you have no chance. I have a love-hate relationships with the Cards, but it has pretty much been a Wild Card race in the NL Central since June. Prediction: Cards in 3.

Ok, over the American League. The Yankees managed to eeke out the AL East title (Boston and New York have the same record, but the Yanks won head-to-head matchups 10-9) and they head out West to play The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. The Angels should lose just for having the worst name in the history of baseball, but they also have Vlad Guerrero, Bartolo Colon, and the rally monkey. And don't underestimate that monkey-- remember 2002? However, the Yanks live for October. Grumble, grumble. Prediction: Yankees in 5.

Now the BIG one. White Sox vs. Red Sox. You would think that being from Chicago I would have at least geographical loyalty to the White Sox, and I could easily cheer for them with that reasoning. But I am not a bandwagon jumper. The White Sox have almost as pathetic a post- season history as the Cubs (last World Series Championship: 1917), but they are not my team and never will be. Sure, I'll be happy for them if they win, but I cannot cheer for them actively and remain in good conscience. But what about the Red Sox? I used to cheer for the Red Sox out of solidarity with the Cubs, but the Cubs now stand alone in the "wait 'til next year" category. I would like the Red Sox to prove they aren't a once-every-eighty-six-years fluke, though so when the Cubs win it all it will be that much more momentous, but the White Sox will not go quietly or quickly. Prediction: Red Sox in 5.

October here I come!

APPENDED: Nobody calls me yellow! Alright, boys and girls, here are your LCS and World Series predictions. The Yankees and Red Sox will match wits and uppercuts in the LCS and the Yankees will prevail. They're bitter and ready to rumble. They will never live down that choke from last year, so I can live with that. Yankees in 6.

People seem to think that the Astros have a better pitching rotation than the Braves. No matter, evil will always be smote. The Braves and the Cards will have a non-battle for the NL crown which will be over before you can say "Pujols is my hombre." Cards in 4.

So we're left with the Yankees-Cardinals. Both storied franchises with many post season heroes. The Cardinals are also vengeful re: 2004 and have ever right to be. They were the best team in baseball last year and got blindsided by the Boston Express. They have more fight and talent in them than the Yankees, so as annoying as the Yankees winning the AL is, having the Cards show them who's boss NL Central-style will be worth it. Cards in 6.

Don't say I never gave you anything.

1 Comments:

Blogger TR said...

1, outstanding reference to Psycho Steve. 2, Why stop with the LDS? Are you too yellow to go ahead and predict all the way, rather than predict one round at a time, so you're never that far off? We want a world series prediction! Out with it!

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home