Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I am Libby, hear me roar!


Bad Libby



Ok, I thought I could keep quiet. If I just ignored it, it would eventually go away. But it appears the time has come for me to clear my name. That's right, Libby is a good name that is being slandered and libeled from here to kingdom come. "Libby might be indicted," "Libby's notes contradict previous testimony," and the worst one of all, "Libby is a trusted advisor of Vice President Cheney." At first, all this attention was okay. Jon Stewart was saying my name nightly. It was fun to see my name in headlines in the New York Times. But now that sh*t is almost hitting the fan I'm worried--what if I. Lewis Libby is to the Plame case as G. Gordon Liddy was to Watergate? I could be living in this guy's shadow (and shadowy use of my name) for years. Libby will start to have a negative connotation. Any use of Libby as a nickname for Elizabeth will cease. I will forever be associated with someone who is a criminal (possibly, we don't know yet).

Libby has always been such a cool name. My parents named me Elizabeth and Libby in the same moment, so I have as much, if not more, loyalty to Libby as I do to Elizabeth. There's no way that I'm going to start going by Elizabeth now that this Libby is making me look bad. I can no longer stand by while a Bush Doctrine-writing-Cheney-loving-Straussism-preaching man with an initial for a first name brings my name down with him.

Let's start calling him Scooter.

It's not like the Scooters of the world were that cool to begin with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home