Monday, October 31, 2005

Good, clean Midwestern fun

This is what we learned in school

Based on previous posts, I bet you thought I'd be writing about this article, and while I have many opinions on it, I am almost too depressed to blog about it now. As has been said by many of my hot, single chicas, "Avoid sarcasm if you hope to land a man? We're SCREWED."

Let's focus on the positive though. There are few things better in this life than than a good crisp, fall day in the Midwest--super green grass, red maples, and football. That is a key ingredient in the mix. So this past weekend I stumbled home for the Michigan-Northwestern football game at Ryan Field. I was not the only one to do this a Chicago is basically Ann Arbor Southwest, but the amount of people that showed up prompted me to dub this weekend as non-other than REUNION 2K5. You may remember Reunion 2K4 and all its hijinx and this weekend we only built on the tradition.

My parents being the random, somewhat unpredictable people they are, offered up the idea of using our house for a tailgate before the game. At first I was skeptical (I don't like hosting things) but eventually the amount of people swelled to a point where it became necessary.

So Saturday afternoon Reunion 2K5 descended upon my little ol' house and any semblance of my childhood was erased. Nothing about my house in Evanston says,"Libby's childhood" anymore. My room has been stripped of any childhood posters or keepsakes, and our family albums have been relegated to a cabinet next to the TV. But Saturday was really childhood's end. We played flip cup in my backyard. Flip. Cup. My mom took pictures like we were playing a game at my birthday party, but instead the game was, "get trashed at my house." My house!! (You'll excuse me if it takes me some time to get over this--my house was never on the party circuit in high school)

So four games of flip cup later we're hammered and three bridesmaids-to-be (me, Suz and Jo) and one bride-t0-be (Amy) get to the parking lot of Ryan Field and start making our way through various tailgates in search of more beer. I broke up a football game between four little boys in my quest for free food. I would feel badly, but they got the last laugh as one of them yelled, "try and catch this" and as I leapt for the ball I landed squarely against an SUV. I mean I hit the back windshield and trickled down Wile E. Coyote style. Luckily I was toasted and so the pain was minimal (the bruising however, is not).

We finally stumbled upon some Michigan fans and told them that we were a Bachelorette party and that Amy was getting married in two weeks (10 months and two weeks, but whatever) and they were more than happy to offer her their condolences and some beer.

The game itself was pretty anti-climatic ("And Michigan kicks another field goal") but it was good to see Michigan ruin someone else's homecoming, even if I do have a soft spot for Northwestern.

Thanks for a great Reunion 2K5 and we'll see you '06!

2 Comments:

Blogger TR said...

None of my friends believe me that you played flip cup in the back yard and almost got the parents (Dad at least) to play too. Well done.

8:11 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

That's fantastic. Why didn't I go to Michigan... remind me, please?

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home