Saturday, October 08, 2005

Anger Management

I have anger. It bubbles just underneath the surface, which makes it readily accessible at almost anytime. Let's take today for instance: Michigan lost to Minnesota homecoming weekend. This in and of itself is sad, yes, but not cause for anger. But it wasn't just the loss, it was also the fact that Michigan lost to Minnesota homecoming weekend and I was supposed to be in Ann Arbor for the game but stupidly waited too long to buy my ticket and it became too expensive.

Now let's up the ante a little, shall we? Michigan lost to Minnesota homecoming weekend and it has been Noah's Arking for two straight days in DC. This is cause for frustration, yes, but not anger. Try again: Michigan loses to Minnesota homecoming weekend and it has been Noah's Arking for two straight days in DC, and because of the rain there is water damage in my living room closet which contains various coats, luggage, a box of computer peripheries, my Nintendo power pad, and my sleeping bag.

Ok, now it's anger time. I just get so pissed off and in order to reclaim some sense of order and control I start stomping around like a four year-old. I just want it fixed and cleaned up. In an attempt to clean things up, I called my mother for advice. The problem was that this apple does not fall far from the tree and Mama Rosenbaum was also bubbling with anger over her inability to develop a database at work. When angry Rosenbaum women collide, it is not pretty. We basically sniped at each other like the other was the real source of anger, and I hung up feeling more angry not less. Attempt #1 to quell the anger: failure

Attempt #2 was a little better. I was able to wash some coats and gloves that were soaked, and that at least made me feel useful. The real success of attempt #2, however, came with me smoking. I have not really smoked smoked since college, but damn if it didn't feel good. Standing in the rain smoking was fantastic. It allowed me to focus on nothing but inhaling and exhaling, and as my yoga video says, "Always come back to your breath."
Attempt #2 to quell the anger: moderate success.

Attempt #3 was born out of my (correct) belief that smoking and laundry was almost, but not quite going to fix everything. Attempt #3 was the Grandaddy of them all: organizing. And not just organizing anything, organizing bills. Nothing exudes more order and control for me than organizing bills. You're talking to a girl who's had Quicken installed on her computer since her freshman year of college. Utility bills, bank statements, insurance payments... this is true therapy. It's also quite pathetic, I realize, but isn't better that I organize my Comcast bills from the past year and a half than for me to call you and pick a fight? Yeah, I thought so.
Attempt #3 to quell the anger: mission accomplished.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home