Monday, September 19, 2005

Emmy-rific

Ahh, the Emmys. They're like the Oscars' slightly jealous kid sister. Every year they try to convince themselves they are as glamorous and as important, but alas, they are not. That doesn't mean I don't love them anyway. Highlights of the night:

*The Desperate Housewives doing their best to look as chummy as humanly possible, God love 'em. I believe you girls, I really do, but please don't start singing kumbaya.
*Brad Garrett (who I don't really care about) dedicating his award to Britney and her baby. At least he knows what's important.
*Hugh Jackman. He's so dreamy and he always looks like he's having the best time. Give me whatever he's drinking.
*David Letterman's tribute to Johnny Carson. You could see that he was visibly moved when he was remembering his idol and mentor. I was 11 when Carson went off the air, but he always seemed to be well-respected and loved by everyone. Did anyone else notice there were no shots of Jay Leno during Letterman's whole speech? Hmmm...
*Jon Stewart's tribute to David Letterman. "It struck me, as I listened to you talk about Johnny is that the way you feel about him is the way that comics of my generation feel about you." Aww, ain't my boyfriend the greatest?
*Lauren Graham giving Jennifer Love Hewitt the evil eye when they were presenting together. The Academy was throwing Graham a sad bone for failing to nominate her for Gilmore Girls and they stuck her with little Ms. Everything-is-Perky. Gag.
*S. Epatha Merkerson. She really did not expect to win (Cynthia Nixon, Halle Berry, Debra Winger, hello?) and was visibly shaking when she went up there. And losing her speech in her cleavage? Hysterical, and I have definitely been there. I saw Lackawanna Blues and she was fantastic. She doesn't get enough love (or good material) on Law & Order.
*The tribute to the Big Three anchorman. Not having Peter Jennings there really gave it extra poignancy. It was also nice timing considering how adept television journalists have been lately at, well, actually doing there job. Extra points for showing my favorite shot of Peter Jennings ever: wearing a suit on top and a towel around his waist while reporting in Cairo. I'm going to miss him.
*In Memoriam. Everyone knows that this is my favorite part of any award show. I know it's morbid, but there is something moving and sweet about seeing these people's contributions.
*Felicity Huffman who gave the night's best acceptance speech. She gave shout-outs to David Mamet for casting her in his plays, Aaron Sorkin for casting her on Sports Night (watch that show if you haven't, btw) and Marc Cherry for Desperate Housewives. But she saved the best for last, "Thank you to William H. Macy for taking a chubby, 22 year-old girl with a bad perm and glasses into a cow patch and kissing her and making her your wife." I heart her and she did deserve to win more than the other Housewives.

And with that, a fond goodnight...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home