Saturday, August 28, 2004

VA cops can kiss my ass

Oh my goodness...get ready for the rant of all rants. This morning, I was driving Jon to Dulles Airport for a 10am flight because I'm the nicest person on Earth, and I got pulled over. This was not a complete shock as I was doing 21 over the speed limit. I wasn't too upset about it however because 1) I have never gotten a speeding ticket before and 2) I wasn't really endangering anyone because the road was empty at 8:30am on a Saturday morning. I handed over my new DC license and registration and and saw the cop step back to look at my license plates. Well, the plates didn't match because I had only gotten my new DC plates on Wednesday and hadn't had time to change them yet. In fact, I planned on doing it today because it was the weekend and I would have time. The cop asked me about the discrepancy, so I told him why they were different and then saw him walk back to his car to write me up.

Twenty minutes later (thank god Jon's flight was delayed) he walks back and informs me that he is issuing me TWO tickets: one for speeding and one for improper registration. Well, let me tell you, after going through three months of trials and tribulations with the DC DMV I was fuming at the idea that this piss-ant Virginia cop was going to nail me on such a bogus charge. After I very reluctantly signed the tickets saying I was witness to what he was giving me, he asked me what was wrong. So I told him.
"I literally gotten the plates three days before," I said.
"Ma'am, it only takes a few minutes to change plates (bullshit as I learned later in the day) and you're plates aren't running in the system and that's dangerous."
"I am really sorry, sir, but it has only been three days and I was planning on putting them on today, but I hadn't yet because I just woke up to take my friend to the airport."
"Well, you can take that up with the judge on your court date."

Well. The word ludicrous doesn't even begin to describe it. The cop was a dick. He was trying to fill his end of the month ticket quota and he didn't care how absurd the charge was. So now I have a court date of October 21sts and a dilemma: Do I get my court date changed to after the election so I can actually contest my improper legislation ticket or do I suck it up, pay the fine and let it go?

Advice/counsel is welcome.

2 Comments:

Blogger TR said...

How much is the fine?

8:24 PM  
Blogger Bookfraud said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home