Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Welcome to my world

Ok, so today in History we talked about the feminist movement and I realized that the word "feminist" has the worst connotation. No one movement achieved more or is looked down upon less than the feminist movement. No African-Americans were aganist the civil rights movement, even if there was disagreement within the movement on strategy. Yet there were women that were anti-feminists. Women anti-feminists? That just doesn't make sense. What the movement acheived was choice for women: the choice to get married and have a family, or to focus solely on your career. The choice to work outside the home, or be a stay-at-home mom and raise your kids. The choice to have an abortion, or to keep your child. By this definition I don't know anyone that isn't a feminist. If you make any of these choices you believe in the goals of the movement. Women were not united enough to make sure that the word got out about what being a feminist really meant: choices for women.
In writing this, I'm sure it will just be labeled as another feminst rant, but you know what? I can deal with that. I want equal opportunity for women in sports, wages, employment, but I also want the recognition that women are not the same as men and there needs to be government-funded childcare, and paid maternity leave. I am a feminst. Deal.