Tuesday, March 30, 2004

SI jinx: feel my wrath

Have you seen the cover of Sports Illustrated this week? It's a picture of Kerry Wood and the words "Hell freezes over: Cubs win World Series." Now, I'm a reasonable person but this really pisses me off. If you don't know, there is a long tradition of the SI cover jinx. That is, if you're on the cover of Sports Illustrated something bad will happen to you/your team. You will lose before expected, get injured, or just not perform up to expectations. SI put the Cubs on the cover in the Playoffs preview issue and look what happens? Steve Bartman. This is just bad journalism. The Cubs haven't been to the series since 1945, and we haven't won it since 1908!!! There's also the Billy Goat curse, so I'm thinking that SI did not have to jump on the bandwagon and say something as bold as "Cubs win the Series." I'm flattered that they think we have the best team, but I am not sure of that either. To be sure, we could be awesome this year but as a Cubs fan I have been conditioned to hope for the best while expecting the worst.

We're not cocky like that. We're not Yankees fans.