Wednesday, March 10, 2004

President Clinton loves crosswords too

I am obsessed with crossword puzzles so I think I am a good judge of the better ones out there. My number one recommendation is the LAtimes. Easy enough on Mondays and Tuesdays to fool you into thinking you can finish the whole week, while occasionally letting you finish a Thursday or Friday puzzle to make you feel smart. There is a crossword link on the left side of the homepage, all you have to do is register to be an LAtimes member.
My second recommendation is the Washington Post. It has a title to its puzzles, which can make it easier to solve those long clues. It also has some of the same, "cue words" (my own name for words that puzzles tend to use often) as the LAtimes which is helpful. My friend Anna and I finished a Friday puzzle this summer, which was awesome, but I haven't been able to repeat that feat since. You also just have to register to access the puzzles, which you can find by clicking the arts and living link at the top of the page.
Now, the NYtimes crossword puzzle is considered the grandaddy of them all. It takes my extremely intelligent mother 20 minutes to do the Monday, but she can barely even do the Sunday puzzle. Also, the nytimes website makes you pay to do their daily puzzles. That's just snobby.
Some of my friends have said they hate crosswords because they can't do them. If you can't do crosswords it doesn't mean you're dumb, it just means you can't do them (kinda like the standardized testing logic). My advice: pick one puzzle and start doing it everyday, even the hard days. Eventually you'll get the gist of how a specific puzzle words its clues and cue words, and then pretty soon you'll be able to actually finish a puzzle, which is the best feeling ever!