Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Obama's the man

I want to send a shout-out to my mom (I know, "shout-out" is so old school) for all her hardwork for Illinois Senate candidate Barack Obama. With 60% of precincts reporting, the Chicago Tribune is declaring Obama the winner of the Democratic primary. He's basically a shoo-in for the seat because the Illinois Republican party is in shambles after it was discovered the governor (when he was secretary of state) took bribes for issuing licenses to shady characters. His term ended in 2002 and he didn't run again, and their best candidate for the Senate has heart problems so he didn't run. Go Dems! Anyway, my mom decided that she loved Obama (and who wouldn't with a name that cool) back in the spring and so she flyered, canvassed, and became a delegate to the Evanston Democratic Party to make sure he would win. She told me she met him when he was right out of (Harvard) law school ten years ago and she was really impressed. My dad says he hasn't seen her this excited about a candidate since McGovern (who? jk). So props mom, for a job well done!